Friday, February 1, 2013

Storytime with No, David!

I collaborated with a public librarian in order to create a storytime program for a group of preschoolers at a day care. I chose to use the story No, David! by David Shannon (pictured below).



Bib Info: Shannon, David. (1998). No, David! New York, New York: The Blue Sky Press.

Materials:

-popsicle sticks (one for each child and one for the teacher demo)

-liquid glue

-miniature paper plates (one for each table)

-q-tips (one for each child and one for the teacher demo)

-a pre-cut David head and nose printed on cardstock or glued to construction paper to make it sturdy retrieved from Kindergarten Kindergarten (one for each child and one for the teacher demo)

-scissors (for you to cut the David heads out unless you have time to let them cut)

-song for movement

Lesson Plan

-Introduce story, read the story, re-read the story (7 minutes)

-Song with movement (3 minutes)

-Craft (10 minutes)

I spoke with the children about following directions. I read the story to them. I then invited them to help me read the story. I showed them the cue and explained they would say "David" when given the cue.

I invited the students to join me in a song performance. I planned to perform a song without my iPOD. I used the song Following Directions with Excercise by Mark D. Pencil, which I sang from memory. All of the children participated, which was exciting!

The students then dispersed into their assigned groups at four different tables. I put glue on each plate, provided each child with a q-tip, popsicle stick, and pre-cut David head. I then showed the students how to put it together. Due to the age level, I went over my pre-planned time because a lot of the children needed 1:1 assistance with gluing the head to the popsicle stick. Most of the students were able to glue the nose on to David's face without assistance.

I printed out the template and then glued them on construction paper because I didn't have any card stock on hand.

Here is what the final product should look like.

Overall, the lesson was a success and the pre-school teacher was pleased with the visit. I definitely had fun delivering this lesson and love books by David Shannon.

No comments:

Post a Comment